The following is taken from and appears here


1812* – 1894
Lake House, Islip, NY
 The following obituary was published in the Bay Shore Journal, August 11, 1894.  It was submitted by Catherine Akel
Please contact her if you have anything to add to her research.

     The proprietor of the Lake House quietly passed away on Sunday, Aug. 5, at five minutes past four o’clock in the afternoon.  He had been in failing health for three years past and kept up only by an indomitable will, but the end came suddenly after all.  On Sunday morning he arose, was dressed, and assisted by his daughter, Mrs. DeForrest, walked to the breakfast table.  A slight hemorrhage gave him no uneasiness and seemed in no way to lessen his enjoyment of his breakfast.  The meal over he sat pleasantly chatting when another hemorrhage came.  He thought it to be from his stomach and as he breathed easier afterward gave no heed to it.  Mrs. DeForrest thought he looked changed and much more pale than usual and sent for a physician.  Hemorrhages came one after another and he became weaker.  The doctor pronounced the opinion that the end was near.  Mr. Stellenwerf was conscious and spoke with those about him till shortly after two o’clock when he became unconscious and the earthly life ended about four o’clock.

 The funeral services were held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Tuesday afternoon and were very largely attended.  Messrs. William Nicoll, J. Harvey Doxsee of Islip, H. A. Toler of New York City, and Benj. P. Field of Babylon, were honorary pall bearers.  The pall bearers were Messrs. George B. Howell, Charles H. L’Hommedieu, Wm. Smalling, John N. Frazer, James Harwood and Timothy Smith.  After the services at the church the body was laid at rest in Oakwood Cemetery, beside his faithful wife who had preceded him twenty-four years.

 Mr. Stellenwerf had been so important a factor in the building up of Islip that he is worthy of more than mere mention.  He was born at Flatbush, L.I., in 1812, and being possessed of energy and ambition at an early age evinced business talent.  He was at one time a grocer and successful [ ? ].  On September 1st, 1849, he came to Islip and became the landlord of the Champlin House, then owned in the Vail family and now occupied as a summer home by Courtland D. Moss.  After six years service here he was persuaded by Edwin Johnson to take the house on the east side of the lake, then kept by Peter R. Crandell.  Success followed this step and it was found necessary to build on an addition each year for several years.  Mr. Robert L. Maitland bought the property and later Mr. Stellenwerf bout it of him and has continued to dwell therein ever since, completing almost 40 years under one roof.  He rarely left it and for fifteen years before his death he had not visited the city but twice or three times and then because urgent business demanded it.  It was his habit to rise at four o’clock every morning and rarely did he sit up later than 9 o’clock at night.  To his regular habits and methodical ways did he attribute his usual good health.  Three years ago he was very ill and since then a complication of troubles was apparent.  He was out for the last time on July 4, 1894, and greatly overjoyed being in his usual place on the piazza, and chatting with his guests.  During all his illness he was specially gentle and uncomplaining, bearing his sufferings like a hero and seeming to be so very grateful for all the kind attention he received.

 In early life he married Miss Jane Travis, a sister of John Travis, known the world over as a expert marksman.  Nine children were born to them, only one dying in infancy.  J. Laurence Stellenwerf, the youngest son, died suddenly of apoplexy on July 6, 1894, and in his enfeebled condition the death was a shock to the faithful father, though the sad news was very gently and carefully told him.  Surviving Mr. Stellenwerf and present at this funeral were four sons—John, Harry, Amos, and William, three daughters, Mrs. Emma Meeks, wife of E.B. Meeks, Esq.; Mrs. Margaret Worth,** wife of Thomas Worth the famous artist and lecturer; and Mrs. Benj. DeForrest, who has for a long time been her father’s companion and assistant in the management of the Lake House.  Mr. Stellenwerf also leaves a brother John, a resident of Sing Sing, N.Y., a sister Miss Margaret Stellenwerf of Jamaica, and another sister Mrs. Lott of Flatbush, the two latter in too feeble health to be present at the funeral.

 The success of the Lake House, under the management of Mr. Stellenwerf, has been unique.  His genial wife was a woman of rare executive ability, most kindly ways, and with a great flow of spirits made the life of her guests a pleasurable one.  She well understood how to manage her servants and had some valuable recipes for preparing dainties.  The table was in consequence a great attraction and has been so continued to this day.  When Mrs. Stellenwerf was called away to the other life the blow was a terrible one to the loving husband, and he has continued faithful to her memory.  Though sadly missing his co worker he labored, and successfully, to keep up the standard once set.  Thousands of the leading people of the land have been guests and cherish the memory of his care for their comfort.  Hardly a landholder in this section but first saw Islip as a guest at the Lake House, saw the land that it was fair and built them their own homes near by.

 Devoting all his time to his business and his family he gave no heed to the many troubles, excitements and dissensions about him.  He never held any office or participated in public affairs.  A kind yet firm and careful father has laid down his burden and he leaves behind a large circle of friends who cherish the most kindly memory of his many good qualities.

 *Amos was baptized “Emos” on October 11, 1811, at the Reformed Dutch Church of Gravesend.  The record states he was born Sept. 22, 1811, to Evert and Maria Ryder Stillenwerf (their second child).
**The wife of Thomas Worth was probably Maria Louisa; Mrs. DeForrest was likely Margaret.