SOUTH SIDE SPORTSMEN'S CLUB
Since the early part of the century, sportsmen have visited Long Island, popular for its abundance of trout, deer and other game. A group of prominent businessmen were in the habit of coming to what was known as "Obe Snedecor's", a resort on the old stage road, for hunting, fishing and social activities.
When the sportsmen learned that the property was for sale, they formed an association to purchase the land. In 1886, a club was formed and chartered under the name of "The South Side Sportsmen's Club of Long Island." The first article of the constitution of the association stated, "This club is established for the protection of game birds and fish and for the promotion of social intercourse among its members."
In 1908 the club owned 2,324 acres and leased additional 1,147 acres from the Breeze family. The Connetquot Brook runs through the property for a distance of about four miles from railroad to railroad. This Brook empties into Great South Bay. Its lower part is known today as "Great River", but on older maps and on the government maps it is shown as the "Connetquot River".
It is to the South Side Club that the public is indebted for many of the laws protecting game not only on Long Island but throughout the State. The Club is no longer in existence, and the property is now owned by the New York State Park Commission.